Thursday, March 10, 2011

My Ever Changing Mind

I am indecisive.

Well, maybe that's not the total truth.

I am indecisive when it comes to anything but food.

Anyways, a few days ago it came to my attention that I'm going to have a lot of free time coming up in the next few months so being the anal person I am, I decided that I needed to make a plan. If I don't come up with something to do, I'm going to spend every night for the next few months at home, on my couch, watching movies and eating bonbons. I've already lined up a project that I talked about in this post, but I think that once I figure it out, It won't take up all this free time that I feel like I'm going to have.

I started thinking about doing a show. I really miss dancing, I love singing, why not? I started looking into theaters around Utah and audition dates and times and have seriously been considering going after that.

I've thought about finally finding a gym that offers Zumba. It's dancing, it's a workout and I love both! I'm not complaining about my body, but I really want to get in shape and feel healthy. It's been in the back of my mind since the cold kicked in around October. I've even gone as far as to say that I want to get up in the morning and jog a little before I go to work which is very uncharacteristic of me. I can barley drag myself out of bed in the morning to be on time, let alone get up one second early to exercise.

I possibly wanted to take work home with me and completely immerse myself in my job, day and night.

That idea died pretty fast....

Anyways, so now I am into something different today.

I want to be a seamstress!!

I've always wanted to sew really well. I remember one Christmas, my sister got a sewing machine and I was SO jealous! The thought of making things was such a great idea to me! When I was in 7th grade, I had to enroll in a Home Economics class where we were required to learn how to thread a sewing machine and complete a few simple projects. I'm telling you- I made the most incredible gingham pillowcase with embroidered sheep and stars! I was so proud of my work in that class. In the 8th grade, I enrolled in an actual sewing class and the teacher was terrible!! It was a huge class, over 30 kids as I remember, so it was hard to delegate machines and teach everyone at the same time. I'm a good learner, but a slow one, especially in a crowd of 30. I quickly fell behind and my teacher would reprimand me nonstop to the point where I couldn't take the pressure and dropped out. I decided to assist my old Home Economics teacher so that I could still get the sewing experience. I learned how to thread and use serger, better my embroidering skills and learn more about sewing and different stitches. Once I got to High school however, I forgot about sewing and got into other things.

My husband and I have taken on a few sewing projects here and there and it made me realize that I REALLY want to sew again.

Particularly, I want to make dresses. I've always wanted a nice, modest spring dress that doesn't cost a couple hundred dollars. When I was younger and even into my teenage years, my dad would buy each of his girls a new dress for Easter. As I started to grow, it became harder to find a pretty dress for a decent price and I vowed that one day I would start making my own. So, I finally have the time. I'm going to make some dresses!

I don't know yet if this will be the final time consuming task that I will settle with, but for now, I think I've found a new hobby.

2 comments:

  1. YAY SEWING! I love to sew...of course, it's taken me about a month to get a dress 3/4 done, so I might just be full of talk. ha ha. But spring is on its way and I want some pretty dresses! Maybe you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to pick your brain for ideas, Heidi. When you complete your dress, I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete