Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Disasters

Today, my office building had an unscheduled fire drill.

In the past, there has always been an announcement telling us when and the approximate time to expect the drill so we wouldn't be too surprised.

Not today.

It's funny that this drill would occur today as it was only last night that I mistook my husband shaking his leg under our table for an earthquake. I jumped out of my chair as I watched the table shake, demanded that he tell me if it was him shaking the table or not and started making my way to go grab shoes and bolt. Thankfully, he came clean before I ran down the stairs, flailing my arms above my head, probably something like this, but with more distress-




I have a terrible, TERRIBLE fear for disasters. Pretty sure it stems from watching Twister at the drive in movie theater when I was a little kid. Although it is a huge fear, I am determined that I will not be taken down by a disaster.

Anyways, I'm sitting in my office, minding my business, doing my work and eating. Side note- I feel like I'm always eating at work, but I digress...

So I'm eating, and all of a sudden I hear a loud "EEEEEEEEEE, EEEEEEEEE, EEEEEEEEEEE". I looked up and saw flashing strobe like lights as my heart palpated. To be honest, the rest of it is a blur, almost dream like. All I really remember is standing outside, purse on shoulder, can of Dr. Pepper in my hand (Heaven forbid I should leave it! I had just opened it!), and watching the rest of the people in the building, file out the door.

Thankfully, It didn't take us too long to figure out that it was just a drill. Now though, it makes me so much more confident in my ability to run my way to safety.

Even if I look like Phoebe while doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment