Thursday, January 27, 2011

Peeeeeeeeeeeved

Sometimes I worry that I'm being too negative on this blog. Sometimes I worry that people who really do read this will think that I'm always peeved at something....

But I'm not.

My blog is a great outlet for me so I take advantage of it when I need to rant about something. This week has been especially hard when it comes to overemotional ranting. I've had so much stress and anxiety built up from this week that I've made myself sick from stress. Today, though, I hit my breaking point.

I'd had enough of it. I work in an office building and the people that occupy the office down the hall and to the right will bring their kids to work with them every once in a while. I've gathered that these kids don't have much to do in a small office because whoever is supposed to be supervising these 5 children that look under the age of 4 will let them run up and down the stairs, through the halls and in and out of other offices SCREAMING. This is not a normal scream though... It's the kind of scream that makes you think that one of them has fallen off the grand staircase in the front of the building.

A few minutes after listening to the ruckus outside my office, a child burst through my door and yelled "HAAAAAAHAAAAA", then just stood there. I asked the boy what his name was and he told me it was Keegan. I asked him where his mom or dad was and he said that he didn't know. I told him that we should probably go find someone that he knew so that they knew he was safe. Instantly, the kid lead me to the perpetrators; people in office down the hall and to the right. I opened the door and there were 4 ladies sitting in the middle of the room, sitting on the floor in a circle, chatting and laughing. Once they saw me one of them sweetly said, "Can we help you?" and I said, "Yes, I hate to ask, but can you make sure that your kids stay in this office? I have a lot of clients calling me today and it's getting very distracting and loud when the kids play and scream outside of my office and just barley Keegan walked in and thankfully I wasn't on the phone, but could you make sure they stay in here?". Yeah...that's when they totally changed demeanor. I wasn't telling them how to be parents, I was asking them to be considerate of others in the building, sheesh. Anyways, one woman spoke up in her best snooty voice and said "Well, you have to understand, we don't have anywhere for them to go and we have work to get done. I'm sure if (pause) YOU (then eyed up and down) had children you would understand".

To say the least, I was FED UP with this ridiculous behavior so I called up the landlord. Thankfully, I work in a building with the most awesome landlord and people that work for him. I told him as calmly but as firmly as I could that this was unacceptable as a paying tenant and that I am on the phone with clients and it become hard and distracting when these kids are unsupervised and screaming. About an hour after expressed my feeling to the landlord...golden silence. Since the children have left the building, I've had at least 2 or 3 of the snotty women walk by my office door and glare at me.

So there's my rant of the day. I was fuming angry earlier but now, not so much. As much as you would like it to be, the hallways of your workplace are not a daycare center. Also, is it too much to ask that you respect others in the building? I feel like this is such a young, ignorant mother stereotype. Your kids are your responsibility, not the worlds. Also, am I right in feeling offended that she implied that I would be a terrible mother because I wouldn't understand what it's like to be a working mother?

Oh, well. I won.

One point goes to the working class that doesn't need another screaming kid and ignorant mother to get in the way of doing their job to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment