About two
years, we did this. It was pretty life changing since I imagined only
adopting one dog, but now I try to think of life with only one and it's
impossible. My first puppies, Wall-E and Lambert, changed me in such an
unexpected way. A lot of people love them and they love a lot of people,
well, if you can get over the initial happy barking when you enter the
house.
Almost
a year ago, this happened. Obviously,
this changed me in unexpected ways as well. I remember when I was in
the hospital bed, hearing the Dr tell me that I'd be in the hospital for
three days, I cried thinking about my furry babies at home. I'd never
spent the night away from them and didn't know how I'd survive three
days. I survived. They survived. I came home with a baby and she already
had two brothers. Life continued and watching them interact with her,
seeing her love and excitement for the dogs, and watching my family come
together was, more or less, perfect.
At the beginning of December, my husband and his gigantic heart, started trolling the dog
shelter sites again for a puppy. I'll admit, I was pretty turned off to
the idea of another dog. With a baby, two dogs and both of us employed,
what time did we have for another dog? He would show me pictures from
websites and I remember saying "Don't do this, WE WILL end up with
another dog".
On
Saturday the 18th, first thing in the morning, my husband turned to me
and told me that we should just, ya know, go check out the dog shelter
and see. The second he suggested that, I knew we'd end up with another
dog. He knew it. I certainly knew it...no denying the obvious. Anyways,
we packed the baby up and headed to the South Utah Valley Animal
Shelter. It was busy that day! Yay for adoption! Two adoptions were
being processed when we arrived, so the gal at the desk told us we could
go back and look at the small dogs if we wanted.
We
went into the room where they kept the smaller dogs, all Chihuahuas.
Buh. This I did not want. Bless their hearts, but Chihuahuas are the
yappiest little dogs and I can't do another barker in the house. There
was a very young tan one, a very young black one, and a very old black
and white one. The two younger ones barked, even growled a little which
in turn scared the baby. That was fun. We turned to the older one. He
was calm, sitting, just watching. I knelt down and let him smell my hand
which he immediately started licking. No barking, no whining, just
licking and looking up at me with his giant brown eyes.
I was sold! Me. The one that was reluctant.
We
took him into a small room to better become acquainted, so while my
husband held the baby I sat on the floor. He jumped into my lap and
started licking my face and ears and cuddling right into my arms. I
teared up a little. This poor baby was cold and was so desperate to be
loved. I NEEDED HIM NOW! We had to stick him back in the kennel so we
could get the paperwork done and it broke mine/his heart's to put him
back. He immediately started climbing up the chain link as if he was
pleading to not be left behind. OH MY GOSH, MY HEART ALMOST FREAKIN'
EXPLODED!
We
did the paperwork, we paid for him and got all the info we needed and
put him the little travel carrier and took him home to meet Wall-E and
Lambert. He's been with us almost a month now and despite a couple times he
was an escape artist, he's been a great little buddy to Lucy and a good addition; no barking, very
snuggly and very tolerant of the baby and other doggies.
He
has horrible breath and gas, though. It's apparently something that
seems to be common among small dogs. He seems to be our own little
Walter the Farting Dog. Fittingly, we decided to name him Pumbaa.
Pumbaa is a perfect addition. So glad we found our tiny, loving, snuggly, farty dog.





Such a sweet doggy! Even if he is smelly. :) I always say that our cats found us, not the other way around, and it looks like it still holds true for dogs, too. Congratulations on your farty dog!
ReplyDelete