Pretty dog, right?
I am such a dog person!
I remember when I was a kid, all I wanted was a kitten. I collected all the Beanie Baby kitties that they made, I had little plastic kitties and stuffed animals, all had names and I longed for the day I would have a real one.
Then my parents let my sister get a dog and all that changed. I became a dog person.
I still like cats, but I prefer dogs.
Thankfully, I married a dog person, too, and we have two beautiful dogs that, if you are a regular to my blog, you'll be the first to know that I've blogged about them WAAAY too many times. Can't help it, they're my babies.
I love my babies so much, that I've done things like this or this. Really, I love them so much! Today, they reaffirmed their love for me.
I have about 45 minutes after I get ready to spend with them in the morning before I go to work. This consists of potty time, eating and spending quality mommy/baby time before they go back to their kennel and I'm off to work. We went outside to potty, ya know, the norm. I was standing, holding their leashes waiting for them to find a spot and suddenly, it felt like an adult had pushed my shoulders with all their might, knocking me to my knees and then over onto my side. I sat up and flipped around expecting to see a person, and instead saw a giant Weimaraner (Picture at the top) in attack position, growling.
I should really brush up on what to do in a position like this. Before I could even think of what to do, my dogs launched an attack. My Lambert is a head butter, while Wall E went for the legs. When Lambert realized the attacker was too tall to head butt, he joined Wall E and started just tearing at this dogs legs. I jumped to my feet and ran for my back door and as soon as I made it, I called for my puppies. From what I could see, they really did a number on this dog, but when I called for them, they both ran inside and I slammed the door shut. I immediately called animal control and reported this dog. They said they would send people out to the area to get the dog.
My little warriors were unscathed and I'm sure they can be considered a little more manlier for fighting off an attacker for their mommy. I've been proud of them before, but never so proud of their stamina in a fight, especially one with a dog, when on it's hind legs, is as tall as an adult.
So, here's where I vent a little- this dog had NO TAGS and NO COLLAR! Also, my husband has seen this dog wandering the neighborhood before. AS A DOG OWNER, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO LET A DOG LIKE THIS WANDER A NEIGHBORHOOD WITH CHILDREN!
When we got our puppies, they were not let outside until we have their rabies vaccination as well as up to date shots and license. You know what, those are the rules. I'm sorry if they are SO inconvenient to you. I also get that dogs can get away and that's life. Oh, well. BUT, if your dog has a tendency to get out, you have to do all you can, leashes, chained up in the backyard, kennels, whatever you can to make sure that your dog doesn't escape and possibly hurt people or, in this event, be hurt when it instigates an attack. This dog is wandering around my neighborhood with bleeding legs, and while I feel bad that it's hurt, I would be more upset and frantic if it had knocked me flat on my stomach or given me a nasty bite.
So, please, pet owners, do all you can to keep your pets restrained. Not only for yourself, but for your neighbors and for your loved pet as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Um. Wow. I love cats AND dogs, and I never blame the animal for doing something animals do. That being said, I'm glad your little dogs came to your rescue, and I HOPE the big dog's owners get cited for letting him run around without supervision at the very least! Yikes!
ReplyDelete