Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Force Will Always Be With You

Today, I have been reading about the biggest controversy in my life- the decision to completely redo and renovate the attraction Star Tours in Disneyland and Disney's Hollywood Studio's in Disney World. I suppose some would snicker that I consider this the biggest controversy in my life right now, but I consider myself lucky that I don't have any other conflict to mention in my life at the moment. I'm one super lucky girl!

To be a little more precise, Disney announced that our beloved 1987 classic attraction, Star Tours, would be taking it's last flight to the Endor Moon on July 27th in Disneyland and September 8th in Disney World. Plans later came to announce that they would be reopening both attractions in May 2011 as Star Wars II (sheesh, I hope they come up with a new name!). It will be a "state of the art" (take THAT statement for what it's worth), 3D adventure with new hydraulics, new que, and new adventures.

As news of this spread, everyone and their dog's got on to comment about how upset they are about how imagineers would DARE to change a classic ride, Walt would be spinning in his grave, they will ruin Star Wars for everyone....blah, freakin, blah.

Here's how I feel- Disneyland will always change. It will never stay the same! Walt himself said- "It's something that will never be finished. Something that I can keep developing...and adding to. Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."—Walt Disney

What a genius!

He knew that there was always room to grow, explore, and he KNEW that there would never be continued success if he kept all of his thinking in the box and never adapted to change. I remember all of the announcements in my lifetime to "change" the park. People went ballistic when they announced that the then "Bear Country" with- might I add, had pretty much nothing special about it, would be changed to Critter Country, housing two of the greatest attractions. I remember when they announced DCA and how, with the failure of this sister park, Disney was able to review and reassess and turn the park into a wonderful addition to the Disney family. I also remember small changes to attractions, whether is was the taking or adding of an attraction. It seems as if each generation has their own special memory of a Disney attraction that no longer exists. From the Submarine ride, to the Skyway Skybuckets, the WED Way People Mover, Carousel of Progress, Adventures Through Inner Space, Rocket Rods, The Country Bear Jamboree, America Sings, Captain EO and so on. There are so many things that true Disneyland fans take for granted in their rides. Having that memory, that special connecting to a no longer existing attraction makes that memory even sweeter. Now, I know, when experiencing Disneyland, I know to hold it close to my heart because it won't last forever, like many things in this life.

My point to this whole blog is that without change, you will not know success. Without change, life becomes redundant and boring. To many people, Disneyland is a place, nothing more, nothing less, but I feel like Walt's ideas are an inspiration to a generation that might not be ready to adapt. I'm nothing but thrilled for this new attraction and I cannot wait to see how they will revitalize a classic.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree - change is one of the things that makes Disney awesome! I remember going when Star Tours opened (yes, I am THAT old!). The lines were incredibly long, and the experience was amazing. I remember the same buzz when Indiana Jones opened. I look forward to new attractions. They only have so much space, so something has to give.

    ReplyDelete