Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Sneaky Little Cumin Eater

I experienced one of my first, to what I’m sure will be a long laundry list, of parenting fails this morning. 

I’m sure I’ve already had some, but this was the first time that I actually acknowledged that this was horrible and it was really my fault. 

Yesterday afternoon, I decided to pre-make dinner. Jeremy had piano lessons and we needed to do some yard work before a big storm blew in, so I figured I’d make up the meat and rice for our Mexican meal so we’d just have to warm it up when piano was done and be good to eat then work. While I was cooking, my phone rang- it was the guy that I had called earlier to give me information on refinancing.

Side note- I’ve been super interested in this kind of stuff lately. I’m trying to gather up at much info and educate myself. This is really good stuff to be educated about. 

Anyways, right before he called, I was adding spices to the meat and had set the cumin down next to the stove and swung my arm around and knocked it to the ground. Right as it hit the floor, my phone rang. Lucy was crawling around, the dogs were jumping over her and playing with each other, so rather then bend down and pick up the cumin quick, I grabbed my phone and the baby as she was making her way up the stairs. 

Totally forgot about the cumin sitting on the floor. I mean, it was in a bottle with the lid on. I figured I’d grab it when I came back downstairs.

Once off the phone, I was happily distracted. I learned a lot about certain areas about refinancing and other aspects I didn’t know about. I made my way back downstairs, took the now cooked food and put it in containers to cool, then started picking up and putting Easter things away in storage. 

Still forgot to pick up the cumin. However, at this point, it may have already been gone. I remember it fell almost mid kitchen, so I knew I’d remember to pick it up. Either it has rolled somewhere else, or it had already been nicked. The dogs don’t touch things like that, so I KNOW it wasn’t them. 

Anyways, fast forward to this morning. 

Once we’re dressed and ready, Lucy and I head downstairs for her morning baba and to take care of the dogs. Once they’re all good with the potty and their breakfast, we eat ours together and if she’s been good, we watch an episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse while she plays with her toys and I clean the kitchen. This has been our morning routine since…gosh, forever. She’s not a quiet kid either. She sings along with the TV or talks to her toys or chases after the dogs. Today, though, as I was up to my elbows in soapy water, I realized that it was really quiet. Much too quiet. 

I walked out into the TV area. No baby. 

I looked up the stairs. No baby. 

I turn around to where our shelving unit is, and I see my little baby, facing the corner, back to me. I sneak up behind her and see that she’s licking her finger, sticking it in the somehow opened cumin container, licking it off, AND DOING IT AGAIN!

I’m pretty frantic at this point. It’s time for me to go to work and we need to leave and she’s been eating CUMIN!!!

Another sidenote- she did smell pretty great. Like a big taco baby. 

She was pretty upset that I took it away from her. She was clearly not done with it yet. I threw her into her carseat and away we went. 

To make this long story a little shorter, she’s okay. Called poison control and she should be fine. Odds are her tummy will get upset and we’ll have the fallout from that to deal with. But, now I have poison control programmed into my phone and a seemingly happy baby. Her taste buds are apparently well developed, too. 


Lesson learned. I hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment