
Sometimes, that’s what the temperature in the Hale feels like, but that’s one small price to pay for such an intimate theater experience.
Jeremy and I went to see 110 in the Shade yesterday at the Hale, and it was one of the most amazing shows I can say that I have ever seen, right next to In the Heights and White Christmas. So amazing, so fun, and so touching.
I have only ever seen 110 one time before last night and it was….not good. I went into the show for the first time about 2 years ago, not knowing anything about it (which is how I prefer to learn about shows, by choosing to see them on my own, not having them forced at me), and wasn’t too pleased. I understood that it was a production that didn’t have the same array of talent that you can find in any normal place, especially the talent you can find at the Hale, and also, you can’t just pluck talent like Will Swenson and Audra McDonald out of anywhere, but in some sort of a sense, you can direct in a way that brings out different attributes and talents in each actor.
The lead chosen as Lizzy in this first production was bland, one toned, and emotionless for what I thought Lizzy would be. Also, even though at times it can be serious with a deep moral message, there are times in the dialogue that are meant to jest or simply to make the audience laugh, which was not apparent at all two years ago. The lack of professionalism throughout the show was also discouraging, although expected. I simply do not understand why you would accept mediocrity instead of raising the expectation. That experience ruined 110 for me. I am now sad to say that I let that happen. Hate the way the play was portrayed, and not the play itself.
I was more than thrilled to see Audra and Will in this production of 110, but not as excited to see the actual show itself. I was so amazingly pleased!! I laughed, I cried, and more importantly, I felt attached to the characters. The song that Lizzy sings before the close of the first act was so intimate and barring I couldn’t help but find myself crying with Lizzy as she sang. The timing with the emotion was more than perfect! This cast understood the importance of comedic timing, but then how to counter it with the more serious portions of the show. Not only were the leads in this show immaculate, the ensemble was chosen perfectly to balance between the leads. You could see every person on that stage having fun and putting their heart and soul into this production, and what’s even more- they were all volunteering their time. As I understand it, this special production was a fundraiser for the Hale, and for as amazing as the show was, I was even more surprised to hear that the cast was made up of volunteers. Kudos to all of you!!
I am so thankful to have had my faith restored in this show. Thank you Hale, for putting on a fantastic show, and good luck to you and your fundraiser. With all of this talent, and this extraordinary show, I have no doubt that it will be extremely successful!
Jeremy and I went to see 110 in the Shade yesterday at the Hale, and it was one of the most amazing shows I can say that I have ever seen, right next to In the Heights and White Christmas. So amazing, so fun, and so touching.
I have only ever seen 110 one time before last night and it was….not good. I went into the show for the first time about 2 years ago, not knowing anything about it (which is how I prefer to learn about shows, by choosing to see them on my own, not having them forced at me), and wasn’t too pleased. I understood that it was a production that didn’t have the same array of talent that you can find in any normal place, especially the talent you can find at the Hale, and also, you can’t just pluck talent like Will Swenson and Audra McDonald out of anywhere, but in some sort of a sense, you can direct in a way that brings out different attributes and talents in each actor.
The lead chosen as Lizzy in this first production was bland, one toned, and emotionless for what I thought Lizzy would be. Also, even though at times it can be serious with a deep moral message, there are times in the dialogue that are meant to jest or simply to make the audience laugh, which was not apparent at all two years ago. The lack of professionalism throughout the show was also discouraging, although expected. I simply do not understand why you would accept mediocrity instead of raising the expectation. That experience ruined 110 for me. I am now sad to say that I let that happen. Hate the way the play was portrayed, and not the play itself.
I was more than thrilled to see Audra and Will in this production of 110, but not as excited to see the actual show itself. I was so amazingly pleased!! I laughed, I cried, and more importantly, I felt attached to the characters. The song that Lizzy sings before the close of the first act was so intimate and barring I couldn’t help but find myself crying with Lizzy as she sang. The timing with the emotion was more than perfect! This cast understood the importance of comedic timing, but then how to counter it with the more serious portions of the show. Not only were the leads in this show immaculate, the ensemble was chosen perfectly to balance between the leads. You could see every person on that stage having fun and putting their heart and soul into this production, and what’s even more- they were all volunteering their time. As I understand it, this special production was a fundraiser for the Hale, and for as amazing as the show was, I was even more surprised to hear that the cast was made up of volunteers. Kudos to all of you!!
I am so thankful to have had my faith restored in this show. Thank you Hale, for putting on a fantastic show, and good luck to you and your fundraiser. With all of this talent, and this extraordinary show, I have no doubt that it will be extremely successful!

No comments:
Post a Comment