To be honest, when I was a youth that was one of the last words I wanted to hear when they would announce what we would be doing for mutual. I can only remember ever going once and I don't remember a lot about it except that it was hard and no one really seemed to know what to do.
Fast forward almost 5 years later. My husband and I had just moved into our first home and we were in attendance for the first time in our new ward. I don't remember what I wore or what we sang, but I do remember how I felt when the first speaker gave a talk. She spoke with such a passion and fire I felt it all the way in the back pew (which, by the way, aren't those new small, two people pews awesome?! I feel justified sitting in one with my husband because they are so small and can't fit a bigger family!). Seriously though, this woman spoke with such a passion and was so enthralling, I couldn't take my eyes off her in fear that I would miss something important. Of course, the topic was indexing.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone speak so passionately over the pulpit about this work. Isn't it funny how passion is really contagious? It's like a sneeze or a yawn- as soon as someone does it, you feel that itch and you aren't satisfied until you sneeze or yawn, too! She spoke about all these new things that Family Search has done to make it more efficient and easier and why it's so important. I left that meeting so full of the spirit, if you looked over in the region of Spanish Fork, you might have seen me glowing.
I wanted to be involved.
REALLY bad!
But I didn't know where to start.
It's hard. I love my job, but it keeps me so busy I rarely have time for extracurricular activities. Also, moving into a new home is a lot more work then you think. I thought it would take us a few weeks and then we'd be set. No. As a matter of fact, we just got rid of the box graveyard in our living room and we've been in this house for almost 2 months. Throughout that week I kept thinking about this indexing. Seriously, I could not get it out of my head.
In the meantime, I made a friend that is also involved in indexing and also works with the woman that gave the amazing talk on Sunday, and she told me all about the program and that I should sign up. Again- another sign that I need to get on it! I told her about my situation and how I simply could not make one of the classes at the Family History Center due to work and moving, but I expressed my serious interest. We chatted about life and got to know each other more, but from that visit, my desire to learn more about indexing burned even more inside of me.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago- they made an announcement in Relief Society that they would be holding a class during the second hour of Church for those that were interested in learning how to index.
BINGO!
I was thrilled, you guys! THRILLED! I waited in anticipation all week long and as soon as the final "Amen" was said after Sacrament Meeting, I jumped up, found my friend and went to the indexing class. I sat next to a couple that I have met before and saw a few other familiar faces and just soaked in all the information.
It's funny how blessings stem out from other blessings. During that indexing class, I made friends with two ladies that love Disneyland as much as I do! I know, can you believe it?!
Today was my first day indexing. It is crazy that the moment you open the indexing tool how much of the Spirit you feel and it's contagious, really. You can even make goals on the website! Although it may seem small and meager, I've set a goal to index ten names ever day for the next year.
That's 3,650 by October, 25th, 2012.
I really hope to exceed this goal, though. Also, I want to encourage everyone that reads this blog to look into this. If I can do this, anyone can! I'm no pro at it yet, but the class was really helpful and I have a good jist of how to do things so I would readily answer any questions that anyone has. Family Search has done an amazing job of making it simple and easy to understand!
This is the link to download the indexing software-

You are so very awesome!
ReplyDelete