In a bout of curiosity, I looked up the official definition of Honesty and here's what Merriam Webster had to say-
HONESTY
1 obsolete : Chasity
2a : fairness and straightforwardness of conduct
b : adherence to the facts : Sincerity
Singular words jumped out at me like "fairness", "sincerity", "chastity", and my favorite phrase "adherence to the facts".
So, what does honesty mean to you?
When I was a child, I LOVED Mark Twain and I read a quote from him that changed my life at a young age- "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything". I've carried that quote with me throughout my life and have often thought about it in situations where I have come across people that have lied to me. Lately, more so then ever in my life, I've started thinking about what honesty really means to me.
I think the biggest thing right now for me is trust. How can I trust a person that is not honest with me? I'm at a point in my life where I think about my family and who I trust them with. I think about living in a home where I only want the best of feelings and a mutual feeling of trust. I want to know that one day when I have kids, I can trust the people that I surround myself with to be with me and my children and have a positive influence on them. These are things that I do not take lightly and for those of you who really know me, you don't want to mess with me and my family. I am very protective!
With that being said, I am also a very religious person. I believe that no person is so far gone that they can't come back although, it can be hard. I don't ever want to turn anyone away, but there are times that I question how someone can lie, to my face, knowing that they AREN'T telling me the truth, and still surround myself with their influence when I so desperately want them to see the error in their ways. This is what stinks, though! This is the way things are. I can't force someone I love so deeply to do what I know is right and it's what they should be doing. If that were the way things were, we'd be in a different kind of mess and although it really stinks, I have to accept it and let it go.
My biggest hope is that people will see how dreadful and lonely life is when those who you have loved don't trust you and don't value what you say because you have been dishonest. I also hope that people know that there is a way back. You just have to get on the right path and find your way back. Odds are, when you come back, my door will be wide open with warm pizza and a Dr. Pepper waiting for you.
b : adherence to the facts : Sincerity
Singular words jumped out at me like "fairness", "sincerity", "chastity", and my favorite phrase "adherence to the facts".
So, what does honesty mean to you?
When I was a child, I LOVED Mark Twain and I read a quote from him that changed my life at a young age- "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything". I've carried that quote with me throughout my life and have often thought about it in situations where I have come across people that have lied to me. Lately, more so then ever in my life, I've started thinking about what honesty really means to me.
I think the biggest thing right now for me is trust. How can I trust a person that is not honest with me? I'm at a point in my life where I think about my family and who I trust them with. I think about living in a home where I only want the best of feelings and a mutual feeling of trust. I want to know that one day when I have kids, I can trust the people that I surround myself with to be with me and my children and have a positive influence on them. These are things that I do not take lightly and for those of you who really know me, you don't want to mess with me and my family. I am very protective!
With that being said, I am also a very religious person. I believe that no person is so far gone that they can't come back although, it can be hard. I don't ever want to turn anyone away, but there are times that I question how someone can lie, to my face, knowing that they AREN'T telling me the truth, and still surround myself with their influence when I so desperately want them to see the error in their ways. This is what stinks, though! This is the way things are. I can't force someone I love so deeply to do what I know is right and it's what they should be doing. If that were the way things were, we'd be in a different kind of mess and although it really stinks, I have to accept it and let it go.
My biggest hope is that people will see how dreadful and lonely life is when those who you have loved don't trust you and don't value what you say because you have been dishonest. I also hope that people know that there is a way back. You just have to get on the right path and find your way back. Odds are, when you come back, my door will be wide open with warm pizza and a Dr. Pepper waiting for you.

No comments:
Post a Comment